A traditional hearty one-pot Northern classic of braised corned beef and cabbage with root vegetables. It’s Sunday dinner memories at their best!
- 4 to 5lb. corned beef brisket
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 head green cabbage, cut in wedges
- 8 small red potatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 to 5 onions, peeled
- 1 turnip, peeled, and cut into chunks
Remove the corned beef brisket from its packaging, setting aside the spice packet that comes with it. Rinse the beef brisket with cold water.
- Place the beef brisket in a large Dutch oven and cover the beef with cold water; let stand for 30 minutes to remove some of the salt. After soaking, discard the water.
- Add fresh water to the Dutch oven until the water level reaches about 1 inch over the top of the beef brisket
- Add the spices from the spice packet and the bay leaf to the pot.
- Bring the water up to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
- Add the carrots, cabbage, potatoes, onions, and turnip to the pot. Increase the heat and bring the pot to a boil.
- Reduce heat and continue to simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
Source – The Kitchen is My Playground
Yield: about 8-12 servings